Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic inflammatory autoimmune demyelinating disease of the central nervous system. The immune system attacks the protective coating on nerve fibers (myelin) in the central nervous system becoming detached and eventually destroyed. This creates a lesion that may cause numbness, pain or tingling in parts of the body.
Signs and symptoms not only vary widely and depend on the amount of nerve damage and which nerves are affected, but also may differ greatly from person to person and over the course of the disease.
Patients may complain of:
- Numbness or weakness in one or more limbs that typically occurs on one side of your body at a time, or the legs and trunk
- Partial or complete loss of vision, usually in one eye at a time, often with pain during eye movement
- Prolonged double vision
- Mood swing and depression
- Gait imbalance
- Tingling or pain in parts of your body
- Electric-shock sensations that occur with certain neck movements, especially bending the neck forward (Lhermitte sign)
- Tremor, lack of coordination or unsteady gait
- Slurred speech
- Problems with bowel and bladder function
In vitro and in vivo studies have demonstrated that photobiomodulation can be an effective treatment modality for inflammatory diseases, including MS.
Photobiomodulation has a broad range of benefits, such as the avoidance of cell and tissue death, the stimulation of healing and injury repair, reductions in pain, edema and inflammation, cell proliferation and even apoptosis.
Carmen Care Advanced Laser Therapy has created a comprehensive protocol for patients with MS which includes Laser Energy Detoxification, Bella Shape, PSYCH-K and photobiomodulation with clinical improvement in many symptoms, such as fatigue, constipation, dizziness, mood swings, Lhermitte sign, gait imbalance.